Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Life Goes On, from T.V. Event To T.V. Event



You probably already know that Ellen Degeneres is going to host the 79th Academy Awards and that Prince will be the half-time performer at the SuperBowl. But, did you know that Coca Cola is returning to the Superbowl this year?

The hype is definitely stimulating. I can hardly wait. Last year, I watched the SuperBowl for the first time. Of course, it was because I was at a loose end that day, and Seattle's team (what's their name again? Shows you how much I care about football) was playing. But, could I, a professor of mass media, resist the lure of "the best commercials in the world," which we have come to know as a breathtaking, "miss-it-if-you're-uncool" feature of this sporting event? I accompanied an equally clueless friend to a sports bar, where, despite this being "polite Seattle," one man kept aggressively shouting, "THAT"S WHAT I"M TALKING ABOUT!" everytime his team scored. I kept thinking a fight would break out -- but that only happens in other parts of the world. This country has way too many other things to fight over than football. Besides, the super-commericials and the Rolling Stones kept everyone mellow and mesmerized.

Makes me wonder -- maybe television and its hyper events keep us from taking a knife to each others' throats. Of course, television also distracts us from the fact that elsewhere, we are, actually, taking more than just knives to other people's throats.

This weekend will come and go, and then we can start the buzz over the Oscars. It's never about who won, is it? It's about the endearing nonsense that we construct as meaningful mass-mediations in our lives. I don't know about you, but I really can't not be there. If nothing else, it will keep me mellow.

4 comments:

Sahir said...

Coolio.

Alltough said...

Sporting events are suppose to be bridge builders, I am told. If one has seen a India-Pakistan match in a room full of manic cricket fans, you would realise, this is no game, it is a proxy war being fought between two nations!

No wonder, I was programmed by birth to not like team sports. Give me solitary sport events anyday!

Sonora Jha said...

Yes, I remember the days of the India-Pakistan matches; I hear it's all more intense now. I hated the mean-hearted political discussions around what should have been a joyous game.
Maybe, if we had some terrific advertising and showed a jointly-made Mumai-Islamabad movie during half-time in a cricket match, we'd all be happier. Sad times, sad games.

Anonymous said...

I read this article as well as your criticism on “Borat.” Your statement that “television distracts us from the fact that elsewhere, we are, actually, taking more than just knives to other people's throats,” forced me to think about the superbowl (of course) and the opening of Coke’s new ad campaign that is being pushed into the digestive system of the African American community.

The commercial looks as though Coke is honoring historically important achievements by African Americans, which I thought funny since not too long ago the company settled a race discrimination lawsuit. A whopping $192 million for charges of inequitable pay, promotions and performance reviews.

I think a line in one of the Ads stated something about how “everybody wins.” Do we all win because we can afford a TV and a Coke, for the accomplishments of African Americans in the face unethical giants like Coke or because we can so easily be distracted, like you said, from what is really going on? That racism and inequality is now and has been a major issue in our country since before it’s founding and coca cola is taking advantage of the hardships faced by this community in order to promote a junk food product; leaving discussions of racial tensions up to a nice cold beverage!

To me it seems similar to the way many comics “grab at the low-hanging fruit” Exploiting people’s emotions and issues of race, gender, sexuality Etc. Anyway, I’ve got to study for our midterm, venting has helped me focus though. :D